Truck accidents are more severe than car or motorcycle accidents. Compared to other vehicles, trucks are heavy, and it does not need to be at speed to crush the vehicle in front of it. Even the trucks going at a speed of 20 can leave immense damage to the smaller vehicle on the road. Furthermore, reports reveal that truck accident causes catastrophic injuries and even be fatal in many cases. The aftermath that truck accident causes can be devastating for the victim as well as their families.
If you or someone you love is a truck accident victim, this blog will help you learn more about truck accidents.
Common causes of truck accidents.
There are multiple causes behind a truck accident. Below are a few common factors behind a truck accident.
- Distracted driving.
- Drug or alcohol use.
- Sleep apnea.
- Lack of training.
- Overloading cargo.
- Lack of maintenance.
- Defective truck part.
How is liability decided in a truck accident?
Liability for a truck accident is typically determined by a negligence standard. When someone else is careless in their action, it is termed negligence. However, proving negligence practically can be challenging. The four elements to prove negligence include:
What to do if you are involved in a truck accident?
Whether you were driving a truck or got hit by a truck, you can file compensation. However, what you do after a truck accident will determine your compensation amount. Here are a few steps to take after a truck accident.
1. Call 911: You should report to law enforcement immediately after the accident. Stay at the accident scene unless the help arrives.
2. Click pictures and videos of the scene: If you are not severely injured, you should click pictures and videos of the accident scene, your injuries, weather condition, signs near the road, and more.
3. Exchange information with the other driver: It is mandatory to pull over as soon as you get into the accident and exchange information with the driver involved. Take information such as their name, address, insurance details, vehicle details, and more.
4. Get medical help: It is crucial to get medical assistance as soon as possible. Even if you think you have a minor injury that does not need treatment, you should let a doctor assess your injuries and let you know if there is anything for which you need treatment.
5. Speak to an experienced truck accident attorney: An attorney can be your best guide to help file a claim and get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.